Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mario Kart Cake


This was my boy's sixth birthday cake and my first attempt with fondant.  I would have made more pretties but I ran out of time so this was it.  The turtle shell was a doughnut hole cut in half and covered in fondant.  I got the marshmallow fondant recipe off Pintrest and another off the web and worked them together.  I made the buttercream underneath with green color so it wouldn't stand out.  The most trouble I had was moving the fondant to the cake and was VERY frustrated at this stage, it was all done except putting the fondant on the cake.  The rolling pin just didn't cut it so I managed to find a long skinny pole (washed it) that went to the bottom of an umbrella for my kids sand table.  It worked!  This was the completed project, just wish I had had time to add a bit more color.  The star cookies were supposed to be iced yellow but again I ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment